A 20-year-old Javanese fashion designer has been charged with murder in the death of a woman found in her home in the city of Gauteng, police said.
Inspector-General of Police Pravin Ramesh said the woman, who was a resident of the village of Kebar, was found dead on March 19, after her home was invaded by five masked men.
Ramesh told reporters at the scene that the woman had been shot three times with a 9mm pistol, and her body had been wrapped in a blanket and placed in a sack on a truck.
He said it appeared that she was killed as she was asleep, and police are yet to determine whether she had been killed by a hit-and-run driver or the gunmen who broke into her home.
Police have been hunting for the suspects, who fled the area.
Ramsayi Gautheng, the village chief, said the suspect was a model, who had recently come to the village.
He was wearing a white T-shirt and jeans.
Police said the murder is being investigated as a murder-for-hire case.
Police on Thursday released CCTV footage of two of the men in the sack, which they said showed the men entering the home and removing a blanket from the home’s entrance.
Ramehs said police had yet to establish whether the victim was killed by the perpetrators or the house invaders.
“The crime has been committed by three men, but we are still investigating the possibility of this being a hit and run case,” Rameshi said.
Rambo Bala, a local resident, told the BBC that the police were working on establishing if the killings were connected.
“There is a lot of speculation about it, because we were told by the police that the suspects were the ones who came here, but I don’t think it is connected,” Bala said.
He also told the AFP news agency that he believed the suspects had stolen a number of jewellery items, which could be used in a crime, to disguise their identity.
Ramyans statement came after local media reported that the two suspects had previously assaulted a woman in Gautheng.